- We started the day with Marshall Davis Jones' "Unseen Connectivity." He will be featuring tonight at Queen Bee's.
- We reviewed the books we finished last week.
- We set a new page goal for the week.
- We reviewed this week's roots/words and the sentence of the week.
- We started working on our poems. We did some freewriting on what we felt was at the emotional core or our topic. Then, we examined some of the various structures of poems we have reviewed in class (stories; repetition of a key phrase; preaching; hip hop; dual perspectives; open letters, etc.).
- Next, we examined "Old Ladies and Dope Boys," "Hip Hop on Adams Avenue" (both by Idris Goodwin) and "what the whiteboy wants," by Kevin Coval. Here's the audio for "Old Ladies..." and the video for "whiteboy." We looked at the structure each poem used and did some freewriting to see if we could use any of these structures for our own poems.
- Keep working on your poem! Look for examples related to your topic. First draft and critique is happening this Wednesday!