- We reviewed the arguments for utilitarianism set forth by Bentham and Mills.
- We watched and discussed this lecture on “How to Measure Pleasure.” (Start at 24:15)
- We summarized Bentham’s argument and composed a response to it in our notebooks, using the moves from “The Art of Summary” and “The Art of Responding.
- We listed the points made by Hacker and Dreifus and those made by Ungar. We then discussed our responses to these arguments.
- Here’s how Wikipedia defines a “Liberal Arts Education.”
- 1st/3rd: Write your response to Bentham’s argument in your notebook, using the moves in “The Art of Responding.”
- 3rd/4th: Read Wallace’s commencement speech and Perlstein’s article “What’s the Matter With College?
- If you are enrolled in honors, here is the reading/questions for the week:
Questions for discussion:
- What is the problem with symbols?
- What is an allegory?
- What variety of tools do we need to figure out what a symbol means.
- How can action be symbolic?
- What do we truly need to listen to in order to understand symbolism?
- What symbolism do you detect in each of the Frost poems?